Sunday 10 September 2017

Mr.Nobody

“Kill him” was all that I remembered and nothing else. I tried hard to remember something, anything at all, but couldn’t. “Kill him.. Kill him .. K I L L  H I M.. K   I  L  L    H  I  M” the words kept reverberating in my mind and I couldn’t take it any longer.
“Nooooooo” I let out a scream and woke up. The room was scarcely lit. It looked like a hospital room or something like that. I was naked and there were a few other people lying in the beds beside me. Was I sick? How did I end up here ? I looked around and there was a nurse at a distance, who came running towards me.
She stared at me with mouth agape, like I was a zombie.
“Where am I ?” I asked
She was silent.
“I just asked you, where the hell am I ?”
She still didn’t utter anything.
“Hello, are you deaf or blind or a statue ? Where the hell am I ? Whats this place?  How did I end up here?” I asked.
“You are in the morgue” is all that she could say.
“What ?”
“This is a mortuary.”  she said, trying to control her shivering hands.
That’s when it all struck me.
“Wait, what ? How long have I been here?”
“Its almost two days now” she was still panic stricken. “I will have to inform the doctor” she said, trying to run away from the room as early as she could.
“Two Days !! Holy shit. How did I come here ? Who admitted me? Whats my name?”
“We don’t know your name, just wait here for a minute, I will go and call the doctor” she said and ran away.
I thought hard, I couldn’t remember anything. How did I end in the morgue and how did I survive for two days, how did I withstand this cold. The chillness in the room didn’t affect me at all. I looked all around. There were dead bodies, tens of them. “Kill Him” I could clearly hear someone telling me.
“Kill whom? Who are you? Who am I ? How did I end up here?” I asked back.
There was silence, an eerie silence, a silence that scared me. It was interrupted by someone entering the room. It was the doctor along with the nurse who carefully hid behind him.
“First get me some clothes and then get me out of here, we need to talk” I said to him. He was shell shocked and agreed immediately.
**
“Who was the one who declared me dead?” was the first thing I asked after wearing the clothes and sitting in that chair in front of the doctor.
“That, that would be me. Your pulse was zero, there was no metabolic activity. You were dead for sure, clinically dead. I have no clue how you came back” he was still confused and shocked.
“Can I sue you for that ?”
“Now that you are alive, you very much can”
“Okay, but before that, tell me who I am “
“You are Mr. Nobody”
“What?”
“That’s what the reports said. You came here all alone. You had a head injury, you didn’t seem to remember anything about you. The injury was severe and you succumbed to it. I tried my best to save you, but couldn’t. I wasn’t sure if I had to do an autopsy as no one claimed your body.”
“Holy mother of Christ. How in the world is this possible ? No one knows me ? And I was dead for real ?”
“Yes sir”
“You see me now, right. I am not a ghost, right ? Is this medically possible ? for someone to die and come back to life ?”
“Not at all, as far as I know, not at all sir”
“Oh man… this is crazy” I said, held my head and sat on the chair. All I could remember was “Kill Him” but who ? How did I get back my life, why was I even there !!
“Sir, we would like to do a few tests on you.”
“Just to re confirm if I am alive?”
“Not that sir. But we will have to. Would you please?”
“Go ahead” I said and sat. The doctor then called upon the nurse who injected me with something and it all went blank.
“Kill him.. kill him.. kill him..” resonated in my mind like a mantra. I controlled my senses.
“Mr. Nobody, this is medical procedure. You shouldn’t be thinking of anything now. We are trying to analyze your brain patterns and dead cell activities.”
“I am alive” I continued.
“Stay calm sir. I have given you a heavy dosage of chloroform, you shouldnt be talking or thinking, stay calm and lie down, try to sleep” he continued.
I don’t remember when I slept. I did sleep, it was a deep slumber. It was peaceful. I could no longer hear any screams in my head. It was good. I am not sure how many minutes or hours or days or weeks passed, but when I woke up the good doctor was still in front of me.
“Feeling better?”
“I am not sure. What am I suffering from ?” I asked.
“See Mr. Nobody, all of us die. You were clinically dead. But even after death, there are some genes in our body that are still alive. We call it the undead genes. In some cases these genes are alive even upto four days.”
“Whats with that?”
“Those mean nothing usually, they cant bring back life. Once you are dead, you are dead there is no second thought about it.”
“I was dead and I don’t remember anything, except.. what were those words.. there were two word that were in my mind.. I was thinking of it.. I remembered only that.. those two words.. do you remember doctor?”
“How would i, sir ?”
“I remembered before you gave me that.. whatever.. oh no.. I forgot that too..”
“Relax Mr.Nobody. Your case is strange. It would be a cliché if I say its a medical miracle, but that’s the case. Your undead genes have woken up your undead cells and there by your pulse and all your bodily activities.”
“You mean I am a dead man walking ?”
“Not exactly. Its just that your cells haven’t died completely yet. We can call it a miracle, just how Jesus brought Lazarus from the dead.”
“I don’t know any Jesus”
“Alright. I want to believe this as a miracle. This is your second chance with life” the doctor said and smiled. The nurse also smiled this time.
“Thanks Doctor, but you still havent told what my name is.”
“That we will find out soon” he said as he started to leave.
“Damn. At least tell me your name, Doctor”
“Its Victor.. Dr. Victor Frankenstein” he said as he left the room.

3 comments:

  1. Good one Dani!
    I kept on wondering about direction where this story was heading till the last sentence.
    Nice twist! :)

    ReplyDelete